Quick Start Guide
Welcome to the ChatLounge IRC network! This Quick Start Guide will guide you through the very basics of connecting to IRC, registering your NickServ account, and setting up your first channel.
Connecting to IRC
The easiest way to connect to IRC is to use the WebIRC client, which works right in your web browser and doesn't require any downloads or installs. If you have an IRC client installed on your computer, like HexChat or mIRC, you should use that whenever possible.
To connect to ChatLounge, simply type the following into your IRC client:
- /server irc.chatlounge.net
We strongly recommend that you use SSL when connecting to the network. This ensures that your connection to the server, as well as anything you send over that connection, cannot be read by others. Most IRC clients allow you to change the ports that you use to connect to the server with. On ChatLounge, the SSL ports are 6697 and 9999. The WebIRC client uses SSL by default.
Depending on your client, the command to connect to ChatLounge using SSL can be one of the following:
- /server irc.chatlounge.net:+6697
- /server irc.chatlounge.net -ssl
Once you have been successfully connected to the network, join our official lobby channel on #Social by typing the following command:
- /join #Social
Like every other instant messaging client out there, you can send messages simply by typing into the text box and then pressing Enter.
Registering your nickname
ChatLounge uses a service called NickServ to enforce nickname registrations. To get a list of commands you can use, type:
- /msg NickServ help
NickServ will then respond shortly with a list of commands.
To register your current nickname, type the following:
- /msg NickServ register password email address
For example: /msg NickServ register x4spgd02b6i firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use a strong password and a valid email address when registering for an account. If the nickname you want to register is already in use, please /nick to another name (e.g. /nick Johnny_Doe) before trying again.
The next time you connect to the network, NickServ will ask you to identify to your nickname when you use it. To do this, type:
- /msg NickServ identify password
For example: /msg NickServ identify x4spgd02b6i
Never give your password to anyone, for any reason. Network staff will never ask you for your password.
Registering a channel
ChatLounge uses a service called ChanServ to enforce channel registrations. To register a channel, you must first register for a NickServ account. Once that is done, simply type the following:
- /join #ChannelName, replacing ChannelName with the name of the channel you want to create. e.g. /join #Food
If the channel has not already been registered or if there is nobody in it, you should be the only one in that channel and have chanop on the channel (denoted with an @ symbol next to your name). If the channel is already in use or is already registered, either there will be other people in the channel, or ChanServ will join and prevent you from getting chanop, in which case you may not register the channel at this time.
To register a channel, type in the following command:
- /msg ChanServ register #ChannelName, replacing ChannelName with the name of the channel you want to register.
For a full list of commands you can use on ChanServ, type the following:
- /msg ChanServ help
Basic IRC commands
If you are not already familiar with IRC, here is a list of some of the most basic IRC commands. They are pretty much universal and will work in just about any IRC client.
- /join #Channel - Joins the specified channel. e.g. /join #Foo would join the #Foo channel.
- /part #Channel - Leaves the specified channel. e.g. /part #Foo would cause you to leave the #Foo channel.
- /quit - Disconnects from the IRC network.
- /me Action - Sends a message that is formatted as an action, written in the third-person. e.g. /me is going to the movies.
- /msg User Message - Sends a private message to the specified User. e.g. /msg John_Doe Hey, are you down for coffee?.
- /nick Name - Changes your nickname to the specified name. e.g. /nick Jane_Doe.
Join us in the #Help channel and we will be happy to assist you with any questions or issues you may have.