Server Linking Policy
Generally speaking, link applications are not open most of the time and based on need. There is no queue or waiting list. If you are denied, it's not personal. There is also a possibility a user may be asked to consider a link, though even that is not a guarantee. The primary purpose of this document is to indicate minimum requirements every server must meet.
As every server administrator is expected to be a services operator (and then some), do not apply if you don't believe you will be granted the position.
Any link must follow this policy and the stated requirements and expectations.
- The server must be either a dedicated server, or a VPS (virtual private server). Cable/DSL connections and shell accounts will not be accepted.
- The hosting company must be well established and have a good reputation.
- The server must be hosted at a datacenter.
- Reliability must normally be at least 99.5% overall.
- 256MB of RAM (512MB+ is recommended)
- RAID storage is highly recommended.
- Multiple IPs is highly recommended.
- Native IPv6 support is required.
- Server load must not normally exceed 0.5 * number of cores.
- The server must use Linux or *BSD. Other UNIX-like OSes such as Solaris may be permitted.
- The server must be capable of compiling and running ChatIRCd, including maintaining the appropriate build environment.
- On the IRC server listening IPs (v4 and v6), ports 6665-6669, 6697, and 9999 must be unblocked and unrestricted (except for hub servers).
- The server does not have to be dedicated to being an IRC client server, but it must listen to the standard port numbers on the listening IPs. If the server has other purposes, you may be asked to explain what those purposes are. Other purposes will not necessarily result in an automatic disqualification.
- As security patches are often released, server administrators are expected to perform updates and install patches weekly.
- In addition to being responsible for your servers, the server administrator is expected to engage in the moderation tasks as outlined on Staff Ranks.
- The potential server administrator must have root access on the server.
- While granting other network staff root access to the server is not required, be mindful of the requirement to keep the server updated with security patches.
- Aside from the server administrator, authorized network staff, and/or hosting company employees, no one is to have root access.
- Members of the Routing Committee must have shell access to the user account(s) the IRC server and HOPM are running under, for the purposes of possible upgrade/reconfiguration.
- Server administrators may not link other servers through their server without prior consent.
- Server administrators agree not to set up file permissions in such a way to prevent those with shell access from editing the configuration files. (i.e. setting the files as owned by 'root')
- DDOS is unfortunately always a possibility, so the provider must not cancel in the event of an attack.
- The hosting company must permit IRC software.
- A HOPM instance must be operated and maintained on each client server. Hub servers must not run HOPM.
- Applicants are not permitted to appoint other individuals to the Staff positions without prior approval.
- All Staff are expected to be able to oper on any client server. This includes the applicant, if approved.
- There must be a means to contact the server administrator outside of the network, in the event contact is necessary.
- Any servers must have the same modules loaded as the other servers, and be similarly configured to have matching nickname lengths and channel limits. Loaded modules are at the discretion of the Founder and Network Administrators.
- Server configuration is centrally managed, and up to the discretion of the Founder and Network Administrators. Acceptance of this is a requirement of being approved.
- Sponsoring a server doesn't imply, or provide the right to add additional opers without prior consent from the Administration.
- Only the Founder is eligible to sponsor the services server.
- Only the Founder and Network Administrators are eligible to sponsor hub servers.