Most benevolent bots are permitted on the ChatLounge IRC Network. However, they must be in accordance with this policy. Bots that don't follow this policy are at risk of being K-Lined upon discovery. Failure to read this policy does not grant license to not abide by this policy.
Every Bot Must
- Act in accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Have a registered NickServ account, independent of any user. The only exception to this rule are IRC Search crawler bots.
- Not have Founder Access in any channel, or hold ChanServ flags
- The owner must also be present on the network, and registered with NickServ.
- It must be somehow possible for anyone to discover the owner of the bot. This may be achieved in one or both of two ways:
- The real name field of the bot must contain the primary nick of the bot's owner.
- Alternatively, you may place the owner's name in the associated metadata for the bot's NickServ account (viewable upon
/msg NickServ info BotNick). See
/msg NickServ set propertyfor details on how to do this. This command must be run from the bot.
- Not appear abandoned (the owner appears missing or otherwise unreachable or unwilling to respond to requests in a satisfactory manner)
- Not be a Filler Bot: Every bot must serve a purpose of some sort, whether it's channel protection, statistics, informational, or even entertainment commands. Any bot that does not perform any function is considered a filler, which is prohibited in the Acceptable Use Policy.
- While inter-network relay bots are not currently prohibited, keep the following in mind:
- If network abuse is coming through the bot, the bot may be K-Lined and all communication through the bot would therefore cease.
- Like any other client, such bots are subject to flood controls. Such bots will not be granted any exemptions from the flood limits.
- Using usermode
+Bis highly encouraged, though not required. When enabled, the words is a Bot will show up whenever someone performs a
/whoisrequest on a bot.
If you have any questions about this policy, or any other, please join